“As soon as we say yes to a calling, life helps us, life shows us the way.” ~ Irene Shamma
Scientists predict the Amazon rainforest could be consumed in the next 50 years. This disheartening fact fuels Irene's work of planting trees, raising awareness and teaching us how we can all make a difference.
In this episode, Irene Shamma tells us about her adventure to the Amazon + healing her heart with Ayahuasca, walks us through the anatomy of Mother Earth and the vital role of the Amazon rainforest for her overall health and our own. Irene also paints a picture of the stark reality and seriousness of the devastation that is happening in the rainforest right now... how we ALL have an impact and what steps we can take to make a positive difference as a regenerative species rather than a destructive one.
Her story begins with a journey to recover something very dear to her as a child that she lost... her deep connection to the natural world and sense of compassion. What she didn’t realize was that she was being called by something much deeper than herself.
Irene Shamma is an architect, designer, and environmental activist from Cyprus who left her life in the city and embarked on a journey of self-discovery and reconnection with nature in the Amazon rainforest. Along this journey, she received deep shamanic healing with medicinal plants that allowed her to experience the magnificence of the rainforest but also its devastating destruction to the deepest level. A calling to devote herself to the protection of the Amazon emerged.
Love this podcast? Subscribe over on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or Spotify and never miss an episode.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How Irene dove into trust, dropped everything and embarked on a journey into the Amazon
- How ayahuasca taught Irene the journey she needed to take was within
- How medicinal plants have been the catalyst of reawakening her bond with nature, the magic of nature, life, love and mother earth
- Her advice for someone who’s feeling the calling to reconnect
- How she had no idea what she was getting into but she let her curious lead the way into a powerful healing
- How Irene realized she needed to raise awareness because we are all responsible for the destruction of the rainforest
- Every second that passes we lose an area the size of a football field of rainforest and most of that is illegal
- Why the Amazon is called the lungs, heart, womb, and pharmacy of our planet and how we are ALL connected to this place even if we live on the other side of the planet as well as its destruction
- Irene walks us through the anatomy of Mother Earth and the vital role of the Amazon rainforest for her overall health and our own
- The problem with soil erosion and desertification of the Amazon
- The question that Irene wants you to ask yourself
- Simple steps people can start to help restore the Amazon
- Her discovery of deep shame that she had no idea was sitting on her heart, and how we feel the pain of Mother Earth and the destruction we are causing
Connect With Irene Shamma
A journey through the Amazon to the heart Interview with TreeSisters
Resources + Links Mentioned
Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth documentary
Note: Links marked with an asterisk (*) are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
Your support means the world...
If the show has helped, inspired or spoken to you, it would mean the world to me if you show your support through a small financial contribution. Each FYW episode is a labor of love that takes me about three days to produce... From as little as $1 a month, your support will help to cover the costs associated with producing and hosting the show. I love you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
To make a contribution, head to the Patreon page here.
Share this episode by clicking the SHARE button below!